CMAT Entrance 2008
Direction: Fill up the blanks with the word which best fits in
1. Many religions believe in the ..............soul
2. The students organized a
3. His letter to his son speaks _.............. for his affection, tolerance and generosity.
4. His business ...... saw him through this new venture.
5. Amita was .............. with her own petard and faced defeat.
Direction: Select the most suitable preposition in the following sentences.
6. What do you infer .............. this boy’s hesitating behavior?
7. The citizens must not murmur ...............new taxes.
8. If you repent .............. your sins, God will forgive you.
9. Shyam kept on talking to Jaya, oblivious ..... the fact that he was in the library and not the common room.
10. At the hospital, Ram was mistaken .............a doctor.
Direction: Choose the littered expression that most nearly expresses the meaning of the given-idiom or phrase.
11. To draw a line
To impose certain restrictions
To have fair game
To divide evenly .
12. A bird of passage
A person who shifts from place to place
A coward person
A person who cannot keep secrets
13. To be lost in the clouds
To be perplexed
To fly deep in clouds
To imagine about something impossible
To achieve unprecedented success
14. To let the grass grow under one’s feet
To take advantage of situation
To work cautiously
To idle away time
To work on a job below the dignity
15. To come off with flying colors
A god start
To attend grand party
Good results of constant effort
To achieve distinction
Direction: Select the best word, which correctly fills the blanks
The average newborn .....16...... is about fifty centimeters long. In twenty years, this little .....17......grows more than triples .....18..... in length. The .....19..... height of a man is 1.7 meters. However, man does not stop growing then he continues to grow even after the ....20.... of twenty-five and reaches his maximum height at about the age of thirty-five.
Direction: The following passage followed by questions based on its contents. After reading the passage.
As advertisers become more and more expert at their work, they appeal to all the human emotions in the effort to increase sales greed, jealously, love of a bargain, fear of the disapproval of other people, fear of ill health, the desire to catch a husband, the desire to show off, and many others. But more and more customers are also becoming suspicious of and resistant to high-powered advertisements. This is producing, in highly sophisticated countries, a deliberately modest, self deprecating type of advertisement that is intended to disarm the suspicions of sophisticates by giving an impression of absolute sincerity, or even deliberate understatement. Soon we may have the strange spectacle of advertisers vying with each other, with Eastern courtesy, to belittle the merits of their own merchandise.
21. According to the author, high-powered advertisement has created suspicion among people in
highly sophisticated countries
in poor countries
22. The self-deprecating type of advertisement seeks of
announce the product loudly
introduce the product by appealing to principal motions
lessen the suspicion in buyer’s mind
tell the true merits of the products
23. In the context, “Eastern Courtesy” would mean
courtesy with an intention to cheat
24. The new type of advertisement as compared with the high powered advertisements of the past
is absolutely sincere
gives the impression of being sincere
is courteous to the buyer
is more in buyers interest
25. Which of the following according to you is an understatement?
At sixty miles an hour the only sound you can hear in our car is the tick-tock of the electric clock.
We cannot make all the soap in the world. Therefore, we decided to make the best.
In 9 out of 10 cases our toothpaste has completely cured tooth decay.
Our “GENIOUS” pen cannot make you a genius But it can make your writing chores of pleasure.
26. If x is. an integer, then which of the following is the product of the next two integers greater than 2(x+1)?
4x2 + 14x + 12
x2+14x+12 = 1
28. If the ratio of 1/5 to 1/4 is equal to the ratio of 1/4 to x, then what is the value of x?
29. If 0<x<1, which of the expression is greater
30. In a certain school, 20 students are taking math and 10 are taking history and 7 are taking both, how many students are taking math only?
31. If (d) denotes the area of a circle, with diameter d, then which of the following is equal to (4).(6)?
32. - X = -|-(-1+5)|, then X=
33. A number, when dividend by 12, given a remainder of 7. If the same number is divided by 6, then the remainder must be
34. The value of is equal to
35. How many solutions does the system below have? 2x + y = 3 and 3y = 9y - 6x
An infinite number
36. If 3x = 81, then (33)(4x+1) must be equal to
37. What is the average of x, 2x, and 6?
38. If 7 workers can assemble a car in 8 hours, how long would it take 12 workers to assemble the same car?
39, A jet uses 80 gallons of fuel to fly 320 miles. At this rate, how many gallons of fuel is needed for a 700 miles flight?
40. A 30% discount reduces the price of a commodity by Rs. 90. If the discount is reduced to 20%, then the price of the commodity will be
41. Aset with three élements has a number of subsets equal to
42. If A∪B, B∪A the set operation law is known as
44 Find the arrangement that can the word ‘MANAGEMENT’
45. If frequency distribution is positively skewed, then
< Md < Mo
> Md > Mo
46. The functional relationship of the data given below, is equal to
x: 1 2 3 4 5
y: 1 3 5 7 9
y = 2x - 1
y = 2x + 1
y = 3x - 2
y = 3x - 1
47. Given the production cost associated with an item is Rs. 20 and fixed cost is Rs. 60,000 per month. Each item is sold at Rs. 32 per item. If the target profit is Rs. 18,000, then number of item to produced and sold is as
48. If 6 men can earn Rs. 150 in 10 days, how much do 8 men earn in 7 days?
49. The list price of an article is 25% above the selling price and cost price is 40% below the list price, then rate of discount 7 is
50. The difference between the simple and compound interest on a given sum for 3 yrs at 5% pa. is Rs. 15.25. The sum is equal to
51. Akabar was popular because he was secular.
All seculars are popular
All popular are seculars
Only seculars are popular
None of these
52. Drug addicts are hated because they are criminals.
All hated are drug addicts
All criminals are hated
All hated are criminals
Some criminals are hated
53. He is not liked because he drinks.
All who are not liked are drinkers
All drinkers are not liked
Some are not liked because they are drinkers
Some non-drinkers are not liked.
54. Birds can fly because they have wings.
All having wings can fly
All which can fly have wings
Some which can fly have wings
Some which have wings can fly
Direction: Each of the questions below consists of two words that have a certain relationship to each other, followed by four pairs. Select the pair that has the same relationship as the original Pair of words.
55. Cotton: soft
Wood : thick
Nylon : thread
Iron : hard
56. Student : teacher
57. Pyramid : triangle
Sphere : circle
Prism : cone
Solid : hollow
58. Ice: cold
Direction: Select the pair of words which best expresses the relationship similar to that expressed in the pairin . bold letters/figures.
59. Drought: Flood :: Hell:
61. Mango: Fruit:: Flower:
62. Hunger: Food:: Fatigue:
63. June: August:: Sunday:
Direction: Find the odd ones out
Gun and Shell
Tank and gun
Rocket and Charge
Rifle and bullet
68. If BEAT is coded as EBTA, what should be the code of OUPS?
69. If DEFY is coded as 40, what should be the code for TRAP.
70. If 4316 is coded as OCAF , what should be the code of HIGE?
Direction: In Questions 71 to 75, you are required to choose from the four diagrams marked a, b, c and d. The one that illustrates the relationship among the three given classes better than any other.
71. Mongolia, China, North Korea
72. Patan, Krishna Mandir, Jawalakhel
73. Europe, Switzerland, Geneva
74. Father, Mother, Athletes
75. Tribhuvan University, Thakur Ram Campus, Saraswati Campus
76. What was the position of Nepalese Women’s cricket team, in ACC 20-20 Women’s cricket championship held in Malaysia on 11th July 2009?
None of Above
77. Who is the current president of Confederation of Nepalese Industries (CNI)?
Tula Ram Dugar
Binod Kumar Chaudhary
78. The slogan “every morning at your doorstep” is associated to
The Himalayan Times
Dairy Development Corporation
Wai Wai Noodles
Kathmandu Upatyaka Khanepani Ltd.
79. Which of the following nation is not in G-8 nations?
80. On which day of the week the daily newspaper "The Himalayan times" brings a supplement with the title THT
81. Who is the writer of the book “The Last American Man”?
82. Who is the first lady Minster with the portfolio of Defense in Nepal?
Astha Laxmi Shakya
83. In which year Tribhuvan University is celebrating its Golden Jubilee?
84. The botanical name of the national flower of Nepal is
85. Which country has been selected to host 2012 Olympics?
86. Who is the permanent representative of Nepal to the United Nations?
Gyan Chandra Acharya
Dr. Suresh Chalise
Madhu Raman Acharya
87. CRBT commonly used in communication sector indicates to
Call Ring Back Tone
Call Ring Before Tone
Caller Ring Back Tone
Caller Ring Before Tone
88. Sin city stands as nick name for
89. Amongst different styles of temples in Kathmandu Valley, to which style Kumari Ghar (home of living goddess Kumari) belongs to "
90. Serena Williams Clinched her third Wimbledon title and 11" Grand Slam crown with a victory over whom?
91. The first three wheeler woman driver is
Ang Kami Lama
92. The summit of non-aligned nations held in July 2009 in Italy was
93. The first Nepali woman architect is
94. What is the price of the basic model of world’s cheapest car?
US $ 3,500
US $ 2,000
95. Security force in India has introduced a-type of hand grenade to control the mob that includes
Red chili dust
96. The Everest Bank is tied up with
Punjab National Bank
Bank of Scotland
97. The number of students securing distinction in SLC regular examination of 2065 was
98. Which is the most expensive city to live as an expatriate?
99. Scientists of Queensland University, Australia have developed vaccine to treat swine flue using
100.The 50-year-old musical superstar Michael Jackson had Grammy Awards in his name numbering to